Tag Archives

Archive of posts published in the category: Permits

Vehicle Permits

Important aspects to keep in mind for the temporary importation of a

a)  A
temporary import is only possible for one vehicle at a time.

Except an RV towing a vehicle can both be registered by the
same person.  This does not apply to pickup campers.

The maximum load capacity for a temporary vehicle import is 3.5
tons, not including the weight of the vehicle.


 You may tow
with your vehicle one to three off-road motorcycles, beach cars or dune
buggies, or four-wheel motorcycles or ATVs, equivalent to the number
of people traveling inside the vehicle. You must be able to provide
proof of ownership for the vehicles being transported and they must
be returned along with the towing or transporting vehicle.

Street-legal vehicles are not allowed under this provision. 
Special permits are available for towing street-legal motorcycles
for sporting events.  Contact Banjercito for details via the
e-mail listed at the top of this page.

It is not permitted to sell the temporarily imported vehicles on
Mexican territory or use them for commercial activities.

The vehicle must be removed from Mxico within the
authorized timeframe as stated in the Temporary Import Permit if it
was registered using a Visitante 

If it was registered using a
Residente Temporal;, the registration remains valid so long as the
visa is valid,
including renewals. HOWEVER you must notify Aduana when you renew
your RT.  Read here
for details on how to do this.

Service and bond fee

Credit and Debit cards:

The card must be issued in the importers name.

The card must be valid internationally.

The card must be issued in a foreign country. [not  from

The card must have the Visa or MasterCard logos. Other cards are not

The card must be activated to accept charges made in Mxico.

Cash: Only USA dollars are accepted for the fees. 

Canceling your
when you leave Mxico.

sure to visit a BANJERCITO module located at the border crossing
when you are leaving Mexico. Present your vehicle and the Temporary
Import Permit in order to register the vehicle as having returned to
the country of origin. BANJERCITO will issue a return certificate. 
They will then return your cash bond or issue a credit to your card
if that was used for the bond. It usually takes three days
for the refund to be posted on your card account.

If the credit card you used for the permit is no longer in use, you
will need to fill out a form to authorize the refund to be credited
to a different card.

Your cash
deposit may not be returned on the spot.  If their cash box is
empty when you checkout, you may be required to return the next
business day to get your money.

It is
very important that you complete the vehicle return operation. If
you dont complete this step, Mexican authorities will assume that
your vehicle remains in