Drivers Can Help ‘Share the Road’
Sharing the road is key for drivers and bicyclists. Bike safety is an important concern to riders and drivers. Over 100 people are killed and thousands are injured in bicycle collisions with cars each year in California. Many victims are children. Some accidents are due to motorists’ lack of attention; others to bicyclists’ actions.
- Pass a bicyclist as you would a slow-moving vehicle. Pass with caution, and only when safe.
- Look carefully for bicyclists before opening doors next to moving traffic.
- Do not drive in the bike lane except when entering or leaving a roadway or when preparing for a turn within a distance of 200 feet from an intersection.
- Do not overtake a bicyclist just before making a turn. Merge first behind the bicyclist, then turn.
Bicyclists Can Help “Share the Road”
- Wear reflective clothing to be seen by drivers when riding at night.
- Ride in the same direction as the traffic. You will be coming in an unexpected direction and may not be seen by drivers if you ride on the wrong side of the road.
- Keep your eyes on the road ahead. Avoid running over potholes, gravel, broken glass, drainage grates, puddles you can’t see through, or other unsafe road conditions.
- Always look over your shoulder to make sure the lane is clear before turning or changing lanes and always signal before changing lanes.
- Obey STOP signs and signals. It’s a good idea to stop for yellow lights—rushing through a yellow light may not leave you enough time to make it across the intersection before the light changes.
- Wear a helmet to reduce the risk of head injury. It’s the law for children under the age of 18 when riding a bicycle, scooter, skateboard or skates.
Click here for a printable flyer of bike and vehicle safety tips.
Bikeways & Bike Trails
Lakewood bicyclists are fortunate to have nearby access to the San Gabriel River Bike Trail, which is a “Class 1” bikeway ending at the ocean in Seal Beach. Lakewood’s Rynerson Park offers parking for bicyclists, and is located on Studebaker Road just south of Del Amo Boulevard.