About The 2041 Regional Transportation Plan
Our region is growing quickly, and we must continue the work underway to ensure that people can get to where they need to go, today and in the future.
The 2041 Regional Transportation Plan – the 2041 RTP – is about providing even more people with access to fast, frequent and reliable transit, and making it easier for travellers to use transit, or travel by bike or on foot.
The 2041 RTP guides the continuing transformation of the transportation system in the Greater Toronto and Hamilton Area (GTHA). It is the blueprint for an integrated multimodal regional transportation system that puts the traveller’s needs first.
Everyone has a role to play in making the transportation system work.
Making the 2041 RTP a reality is only possible through collaboration and partnership, and all those who plan, build, maintain, finance and/or operate transportation in the GTHA need to be involved. This includes the 30 regional and local governments in the GTHA, Metrolinx, the Province of Ontario, the federal government, and the transit agencies (including the GO Transit division of Metrolinx). It also means working with municipalities and the private sector to ensure that land uses – such as for housing, offices, condos, hospitals, school campuses and recreational facilities – are designed to focus on the movement of people, not just vehicles.
This plan also encourages:
- employers to work with us on projects like teleworking and flexible work hours,
- schools and communities to work with us to reverse the trend of kids getting to school by car,
- civic organizations to help us make sure that transit is available to those who need it most and,
- the business community to support the delivery of goods while reducing emissions and conflict with other road users.
Vision, Goals and Strategies to Make it Happen
Developed in partnership with municipal partners and many others, the 2041 RTP builds on the successes of The Big Move (2008), the first regional transportation plan for the GTHA. It presents a vision for the future, and sets out creating strong connections, complete travel experiences, and sustainable and healthy communities as the 2041 RTP’s three goals. To achieve this vision and these three goals, the 2041 RTP outlines five strategies:
- Complete the delivery of current regional transit projects
- Connect more of the region with frequent rapid transit
- Optimize the transportation system
- Integrate transportation and land use
- Prepare for an uncertain future
Full implementation of the 2041 RTP will lead to an integrated and seamless transportation system for the GTHA. It will improve the traveller experience and offer enhanced transportation choices. It will improve access to reliable and frequent rapid transit, and will make travel more affordable by reducing the need to own a car—and will thereby provide associated social, environmental, health and economic benefits.