Vehicle is an artifact subtype introduced in Kaladesh. It was also used in Aether Revolt and quickly returned in Ixalan block and Dominaria. Afterwards, they became deciduous.
Vehicle cards have a special bronze and grey blocked card frame and a power/toughness printed in a bronze colored box. However, vehicles don’t have a power or a toughness unless they become creatures.
Artifacts with this subtype have the crew keyword, which allows them to temporarily become artifact creatures. Creatures with the Pilot type have an ability that somehow pertains to crewing Vehicles.
If the effect turning your Vehicle into an artifact creature doesn’t specify its power and toughness, the printed power and toughness on the Vehicle is used. Other effects may turn a Vehicle into an artifact creature but specify its power and toughness. In that case, use the specified power and toughness. They’ll overwrite whatever’s printed on the Vehicle. There’s no connection between the Vehicle and the creatures that crew it once the crew ability is activated. Blowing up the Vehicle won’t affect the crew, and vice versa.
Vehicle is an artifact type, not a creature type. A Vehicle that’s crewed won’t have any creature type. However, because it retains its artifact type, it will be an Artifact Creature – Vehicle.
Vehicle was first previewed on the card Ovalchase Dragster at PAX West 2016.
While the Vehicles of Kaladesh looked like futuristic cars, they were reimagined for Ixalan as pirate ships.
With their appearance in Ixalan, Vehicles became deciduous. They only appear at Uncommon or higher rarities.
The Weatherlight of Dominaria features a normal power/toughness box instead of a bronze inverted-color one. This change was connected to the new Legendary card frame.
After a three-set hiatus, War of the Spark featured vehicles again, now as colored artifacts representing war machines.
From the glossary of the Comprehensive Rules (January 24, 2020—Theros Beyond Death)
- An artifact subtype. Vehicles can become artifact creatures. See rule 301, “Artifacts,” and rule 702.121, “Crew.”
From the Comprehensive Rules (January 24, 2020—Theros Beyond Death)
- 301.7. Some artifacts have the subtype “Vehicle.” Vehicles have a crew ability, which allows them to become artifact creatures. See rule 702.121, “Crew.”
- 301.7a Each Vehicle has a printed power and toughness, but it has these characteristics only if it’s also a creature. See rule 208.3.
- 301.7b If a Vehicle becomes a creature, it immediately has its printed power and toughness. Other effects, including the effect that makes it a creature, may modify these values or set them to different values.
- Mark Rosewater (2019-03-25). “Storm Scale: Kaladesh and Amonkhet”. magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Matt Tabak (September 2, 2016). “Kaladesh Mechanics”. magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Sam Stoddard (September 9, 2016). “Smuggler’s Copter”. magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Mark Rosewater (September 19, 2016). “Kaladesh Ingredients, Part 2″. magicthegathering.com. Wizards